Tuesday, March 24, 2009

the farm



Mr. and Mrs. Johnston were really excited to see what we brought home to our "farm" today. Six little ducklings, "goslings" as Rae calls them and "chicks" as Ryane calls them. I did not have to sub today, so Ryane and I made a quick trip to Christiansburg to the Tractor Store for rabbit food and kitty litter. To our surprise, the TSC had little chicks, rabbits, and ducks. Ryane nearly wet herself. She was so excited. We've gone there this time every year to see the animals and they have always been sold out. I guess it just so happens to be a little earlier this year or something. At any rate, I pulled her away from the animals and we got our "Equine Pine" otherwise known to this house as kitty litter, rabbit and cat food and checked out. I told Ryane that we would call Mi Mi though, b/c she had said every single year that she wanted ducks on her pond and that we should have gotten some at Easter. So, I went to the car and got the phone and called. I went back to the tubs again with Ryane and started talking to the people about the ducks. Mom didn't necessarily think that getting two was such a great idea. For obvious reasons. Four would be a lot, but, what if? So, ok. Four was going to be the number until I talked to the clerk and read the sign that there was a minimum of six birds per sale. DEAR LORD. So, I called mom back and said that there was a minimum and we agreed that would be pushing it. I left without a fight and told Ryane that we just couldn't get six and that was a whole lot without talking to Paw Paw and not knowing when they were coming back from Florida. I had to make a stop at the Dairy Queen and while we were in there, mom called down and talked to Paw Paw who said that we could keep the ducks in the little chicken house until they got big enough to put them on the pond. He said that he would be home in time for them to be moved up. We've got them in a huge container and I even made them a little swimming pool today with a teeny tiny container. They were so cute. They tried swimming and they cleaned themselves off. Of course, the girls can't keep their hands off of them and Ryane nearly squeezes them to death. So, we will see how long they really last.

No comments: